We are already divorced, Can my Spousal Maintenance be Changed?

Post-decree changes are common in divorces. Changes can happen for a variety of reasons. Many of the reasons have to do with children after a divorce, but sometimes it can be because of spousal maintenance. Spousal support should be terminated if the ex-spouse receiving the support payments gets remarried or if he or she is co-habitating with another in a romantic relationship, or if either ex-spouse dies. Maintenance can also be modified or terminated if one of the parties has a significant change in their income. Modification and termination do not happen automatically without a court order, meaning that one of the spouses must file a petition to modify or terminate in court otherwise the obligation will continue.

Many times the circumstances for the change can be complex and difficult to understand when a change that is considered significant happens; that is why you should contact a lawyer to help you through the process.

Call one of our Downers Grove lawyers today to see if you qualify for a termination or modification of spousal maintenance.

14 views0 comments
  • Facebook - White Circle
  • LinkedIn - White Circle


Communication of information by, in, to or through this email or our web site and your receipt or use of it (1) is not provided in the course of and does not create or constitute an attorney-client relationship, (2) is not intended as a solicitation, (3) is not intended to convey or constitute legal advice, and (4) is not a substitute for obtaining legal advice from a another qualified attorney. You should not act upon any such information without first seeking qualified professional counsel on your specific matter. The hiring of an attorney is an important decision that should not be based solely upon email or web site communications. An attorney/client relationship does not start until a contract is executed by both parties. If you sent documents through this email and have not heard back from us within three business days, please contact us at 630-447-5733.